MENU EN |EL |IT

Crotone | Italy


COMBINED PACKAGES

FOR SCUBA DIVING ENTHUSIASTS: COMBINE METHONI AND SAN PIETRO IN BEVAGNA (7 DAYS TRIP)

From Methoni to San Pietro: on the footprints of Peter Throckmorton

In 1962, the ‘Father of Underwater Archaeology’ discovered the Methoni sarcophagi site during the first archaeological underwater campaign ever done in Greece. A few years later, in 1967, ‘following an exciting trace starting from Methoni’ he travelled towards San Pietro in Bevagna, where rumors of further sarcophagi lying on the seabed were spreading out from time to time, and actually found the sarcophagi site. Being a photojournalist, in 1969 he wrote a pamphlet named ‘Ancient shipwreck yields new facts - and a strange cargo (marble coffins)’, published by the National Geographic Magazine, in which he narrates this amazing underwater archaeological adventure. Let us follow his travel itinerary in search of the lost sarcophagi, along the ancient sea routes.

 

> DAY 1 Arrival in Methoni 

 

Briefing with our tour operator partner in the arrival hall of the airport, then transfer to the hotel in a chauffeur-driven car. The rest of the day is free.  An optional general tour of the town can be offered in the late afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the Hotel.

 

 > DAY 2 Diving in Pylos

 

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you to the diving area, where you can admire “the sarcophagi shipwreck” using the proper equipment. In addition to underwater archaeology, divers will be able to enjoy the marine life of the Mediterranean. Underwater caves and reefs home to grouper and sea turtles can all be found within the parks, while dolphins are a common sight in Pylos Bay. Our program contains 2 dives (morning and afternoon) at the underwater archaeological site. Lunch on board or in a traditional Greek village with local delicacies according to your preferences. We recommend optional diving at night in the clear waters of Pylos. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 3 Diving in Methoni

 

Early breakfast and departure from the hotel for diving around Methoni, where you can see the ‘shipwreck of columns’ lying on the seabed, close to Cape Spitha. The columns are scattered in an area of 30 square meters and are 10 meters away from the edge of the Cape. Part of the columns are aligned on the seabed, while other columns are scattered in a wider area. Transfer to the hotel. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 4 | Departure day – Arrival in San Pietro (subject to flight connections)

 

After breakfast, chauffeur-driven car transfer to the airport for the departure. Arrival in Brindisi or Bari Airport (meeting point at the arrival hall of the airport) and transfer to San Pietro in Bevagna in a chauffeur-driven car. Check in at the hotel, and the rest of the day is free. An optional tour in Manduria, Porto Cesareo or Gallipoli can be offered late in the afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the hotel.

 

> DAY 5 Scuba Diving in the “Aquarium” and the “Lobster’s escarpment”

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you to the San Pietro diving area known as the “Aquarium”, a paradise of clear water and sparkling marine life in a naturalistic protected area. Lunch on board or in a traditional village with the local delicacies according to your preferences.  In the afternoon, another scuba dive in a wonderfully colored and iridescent environment is available: the “Lobster’s escarpment”. Transfer to San Pietro in Bevagna. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 6 Diving in the “Santa Caterina” and “Santa Maria al Bagno” caves

Early breakfast and departure from the hotel to the diving area of ‘Santa Caterina Caves’ to explore the wreck of a Junkers Ju 88 fighting aircraft, fallen off the Santa Caterina coastline during World War II, lying  perfectly preserved and straight on the sandy seabed. The aircraft is perfectly visible, due to the clearness of the sea water, and coloured by the marine flora and fauna that colonized its surfaces over the last seventy years.

Lunch onboard or in a traditional village with local delicacies according to your preferences. In the afternoon, the last scuba dive will be in the ‘Santa Maria al Bagno’ diving site, where further caves and untouched naturalistic scenarios just wait to be discovered together with the wreck of a III century AD ship carrying greek-italic amphorae, discovered in 1982. Recommended: night scuba dive in the crystalline water of the San Pietro in Bevagna Sarcophagi site (-6 metres depth). Transfer to the hotel. Optional dinner package.

 

 > DAY 7 Departure day

 

After breakfast, chauffeur-driven car transfer to the airport for the departure.

 

Your package includes:

 6 nights at a hotel of your choice on bed & breakfast formula

  Transfers upon arrival and departure with assistance   Diving guide or instructor.

 

Your package excludes:

  International flights   Personal expenses     Optional meals    Optional excursions and visits

 

 

FOR SCUBA DIVING ENTHUSIASTS: COMBINE ALONISSOS AND CROTONE (7 DAYS TRIP)

From Alonissos to Croton: along the Achaean sea routes

 

Alonissos is supposed to be the island where the Achaeans crowded and put out to sea their warships towards Troy, thus starting the legendary 10-years Troy War. Beyond the legend, history tells us that Achaeans settled in the Peloponnese and surrounding areas, during the 8th century B.C. raised their ship’s anchors towards Calabria, and colonized a big part of its Ionian coast, from Sibari to Caulonia. They founded Croton, one of the richest cities in Classical Age, and established flourishing trades through the maritime routes linking Greece to southern Italy. The Romans, conquerors of the Mediterranean basin, used these commerce routes for several centuries after the Greek colonizers. Let us discover their traces beyond the millennia.

 

> Day 1 | Arrival in Alonissos

 

Briefing with our tour operator partner in the arrival hall of the port, then transfer to the hotel in a chauffeur-driven car. The rest of the day is free.  An optional general tour of the island can be offered in the late afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the Hotel.

 

> Day 2 | Diving in Peristera

 

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you to the diving area. Off the north - eastern coasts of modern Alonissos, there are six deserted islets, ideal destinations for every kind of diving experience.

Our program contains 2 dives (morning and afternoon) at the underwater archaeological site of the Classical Shipwreck near Peristera. Lunch is provided on board or at a traditional village with local delicacies prepared according to your liking. We recommend optional diving at night in the clear waters of Peristera. Optional dinner package.

 

> Day 3 | Explore caves

 

Early breakfast and departure from the hotel towards a diving area with two enchanting caves, where you can see white sea breams, golden groupers, damselfishes, dusky groupers, octopuses, dolphins. Optional dinner package.

 

> Day 4 | Departure day – Arrival in Crotone (subject to flight connections)

 

After breakfast, chauffeur-driven car transfer to the port for the departure. Arrival in Crotone (or Lamezia Terme) Airport (meeting point at the arrival hall of the airport). Transfer to the hotel with chauffeur-driven car, check-in, and the rest of the day is free. An optional general tour of the town can be offered in the late afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the hotel.

 

> DAY 5 Diving in “Punta Scifo D” and “Cala Cicala”

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you from the hotel to the diving area. Our program contains one scuba dive in the morning at the shipwreck called “Punta Scifo D”, and one dive in the afternoon at the shipwreck called “Cala Cicala”. Divers will explore the two Roman shipwreck cargos, mainly composed by large blocks and slabs of white rough marble at a depth less than 7 meters, on a rocky sea bottom with sandy seabed and Posidonia meadows.

In addition to the underwater archaeological routes, divers will also be able to enjoy the marine life. Lunch on board or in a traditional village with local delicacies according to your preferences. We recommend an optional diving at night. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 6 Diving in “Le Castella” and “Capo Alfieri”

After breakfast, departure from the hotel to the diving area. Our program contains one scuba dive in the morning at the site called “Capo Alfieri”, and one dive in the afternoon at the “Le Castella” submerged site. Located nearby to the famous Aragonese fortress of the XV century, “Le Castella” seabed hosts the ruins of an ancient Greek quarry along with those of an imposing wreck; while at “Capo Alfieri” site, divers will be able to explore some ancient Roman millstones. In addition to the underwater archaeological routes, scuba divers will be able to enjoy the marine life, especially of the rich and colored flora and fauna that colonized these ancient submerged materials. Lunch on board or in a traditional village with local delicacies according to your preferences. Transfer to the hotel. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 7 Departure day

After breakfast, chauffeur-driven car transfer to the airport for the departure.

 

Your package includes:

 6 nights at a hotel of your choice on bed & breakfast formula

  Transfers upon arrival and departure with assistance   Diving guide or instructor.

 

Your package excludes:

  International flights   Personal expenses     Optional meals    Optional excursions and visits

 

 

FOR SCUBA DIVING ENTHUSIASTS: THE FOUR DESTINATIONS TOUR (13 DAYS)

Travelling from Graecia to Magna Graecia

 

The Greco-Roman World of Classical Antiquity, the historic period that gave birth to democracy and laid the foundations for modern state governance, was a world of established cultural and trade relations among several civilizations settled on the coasts and islands of the Mediterranean basin. Let us visit some of the jewels of Ancient Graecia (Greece) and its Italian ancient colonies (Magna Graecia, Southern Italy), places that have built History in the Greek and Roman Ages. Let us enjoy a unique underwater experience in the world of Classical Antiquity!

 

> Day 1 | Arrival in Alonissos

 

Briefing with our tour operator partner in the arrival hall of the port, then transfer to the hotel in a chauffeur-driven car. The rest of the day is free. An optional general tour of the island can be offered in the late afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the Hotel.

 

> Day 2 | Diving in Peristera

 

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you to the diving area. Off the north - eastern coasts of modern Alonissos, there are six deserted islets, ideal destinations for every kind of diving experience.

 

Our program contains 2 dives (morning and afternoon) at the underwater archaeological site of the Classical Shipwreck near Peristera. Lunch is provided on board or at a traditional village with local delicacies prepared according to your liking. We recommend optional diving at night in the clear waters of Peristera. Optional dinner package.

 

> Day 3 | Explore caves

 

Early breakfast and departure from the hotel towards a diving area with two enchanting caves, where you can see white sea breams, golden groupers, damselfishes, dusky groupers, octopuses, dolphins. Optional dinner package.

 

> Day 4 | Departure day – Arrival in Methoni (subject to combined transfer connections)

 

Briefing with our tour operator partner at the airport hall, then transfer to the hotel in a chauffeur-driven car. The rest of the day is free.  An optional general tour of the town can be offered in the late afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the Hotel.

 

 > DAY 5 Diving in Pylos

 

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you to the diving area, where you can admire “the sarcophagi shipwreck” using the proper equipment. In addition to underwater archaeology, divers will be able to enjoy the marine life of the Mediterranean. Underwater caves and reefs home to grouper and sea turtles can all be found within the parks, while dolphins are a common sight in Pylos Bay. Our program contains 2 dives (morning and afternoon) at the underwater archaeological site. Lunch on board or in a traditional Greek village with local delicacies according to your preferences. We recommend optional diving at night in the clear waters of Pylos. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 6 Diving in Methoni

 

Early breakfast and departure from the hotel for diving around Methoni, where you can see the ‘shipwreck of columns’ lying on the seabed, close to Cape Spitha. The columns are scattered in an area of 30 square meters and are 10 meters away from the edge of the Cape. Part of the columns are aligned on the seabed, while other columns are scattered in a wider area. Transfer to the hotel. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 7 | Departure day – Arrival in San Pietro (subject to flight connections)

 

After breakfast, chauffeur-driven car transfer to the airport for the departure. Arrival in Brindisi or Bari Airport (meeting point at the arrival hall of the airport) and transfer to San Pietro in Bevagna with chauffeur-driven car. Check in at the hotel, and the rest of the day is free. An optional tour in Manduria, Porto Cesareo or Gallipoli can be offered late in the afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the hotel.

 

> DAY 8 Scuba Diving in the “Aquarium” and the “Lobster’s escarpment”

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you to the San Pietro diving area known as the “Aquarium”, a paradise of clear water and sparkling marine life in a naturalistic protected area. Lunch on board or in a traditional village with the local delicacies according to your preferences.

In the afternoon, another scuba dive in a wonderfully colored and iridescent environment is available: the “Lobster’s escarpment”. Transfer to San Pietro in Bevagna. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 9 Diving in the “Santa Caterina” and “Santa Maria al Bagno” caves

Early breakfast and departure from the hotel to the diving area of ‘Santa Caterina Caves’ to explore the wreck of a Junkers Ju 88 fighting aircraft, fallen off the Santa Caterina coastline during World War II, lying  perfectly preserved and straight on the sandy seabed. The aircraft is perfectly visible, due to the clearness of the sea water, and coloured by the marine flora and fauna that colonized its surfaces over the last seventy years.

Lunch onboard or in a traditional village with local delicacies according to your preferences. In the afternoon, the last scuba dive will be in the ‘Santa Maria al Bagno’ diving site, where further caves and untouched naturalistic scenarios just wait to be discovered together with the wreck of a III century AD ship carrying greek-italic amphorae, discovered in 1982. Recommended: night scuba dive in the crystalline water of the San Pietro in Bevagna Sarcophagi site (-6 metres depth). Transfer to the hotel. Optional dinner package.

 

 > DAY 10 Departure day – Arrival in Crotone (subject to combined transfer connections)

 

Briefing with our tour operator partner at the airport hall, then transfer to the hotel in a chauffeur-driven car. The rest of the day is free.  An optional general tour of the town can be offered in the late afternoon. Dinner (optional) and overnight at the Hotel.

 

> DAY 11 Diving in “Punta Scifo D” and “Cala Cicala”

After breakfast, an experienced guide will take you from the hotel to the diving area. Our program contains one scuba dive in the morning at the shipwreck called “Punta Scifo D”, and one dive in the afternoon at the shipwreck called “Cala Cicala”. Divers will explore the two Roman shipwreck cargos, mainly composed by large blocks and slabs of white rough marble at a depth less than 7 meters, on a rocky sea bottom with sandy seabed and Posidonia meadows.

In addition to the underwater archaeological routes, divers will also be able to enjoy the marine life. Lunch on board or in a traditional village with local delicacies according to your preferences. We recommend an optional diving at night. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 12 Diving in “Le Castella” and “Capo Alfieri”

After breakfast, departure from the hotel to the diving area. Our program contains one scuba dive in the morning at the site called “Capo Alfieri”, and one dive in the afternoon at the “Le Castella” submerged site. Located nearby to the famous Aragonese fortress of the XV century, “Le Castella” seabed hosts the ruins of an ancient Greek quarry along with those of an imposing wreck; while at “Capo Alfieri” site, divers will be able to explore some ancient Roman millstones. In addition to the underwater archaeological routes, scuba divers will be able to enjoy the marine life, especially of the rich and colored flora and fauna that colonized these ancient submerged materials. Lunch on board or in a traditional village with local delicacies according to your preferences. Transfer to the hotel. Optional dinner package.

 

> DAY 13 Departure day

After breakfast, chauffeur-driven car transfer to the airport for the departure.

 

Your package includes:

 12 nights at a hotel of your choice on bed & breakfast formula

  Transfers upon arrival and departure with assistance   Diving guide or instructor.

 

Your package excludes:

  International flights   Personal expenses     Optional meals    Optional excursions and visits

 

MANY OTHER COMBINATIONS ARE AVAILABLE ACCORDING TO YOUR PREFERENCES OR YOUR DIVING SKILLS!

 



Thessaloniki: 85 Tsimiski Str, 7th floor, tel +30 2310 238025

Athens: 55-59 Karaiskaki Square Str Kolonou, tel +30 210 6927000
Co - founded by the EMFF programme of the European Union
Login-iconLogin